Bangalore, the beautiful capital of Karnataka and the silicon city of India contains has a lovely elevated region in the south-west, dotted with temples, in the midst of which stands the conspicuous temple of learning known as Acharya Pathasala. The institution, which was the noble vision of the builder and architect Late Prof. N. Ananthachar, whose life was a life of trials and hardships which he faced with a dauntless spirit, now has grown into wide branches with thousands of students who have completed their studies and are placed in many esteemed positions of the society.
Acharya Pathasala started first as a primary school by Late Prof. N.Ananthachar on 15th August 1935 in the Basavanagudi extension on the first floor of Basavanagudi co-operative society, Gandhibazar, Bangalore-4. In the year 1956, a great land mark in the history of the institution was made when Acharya Pathasala College of Arts and Commerce was started in this locality, at a time when there were no other colleges for women to continue their studies. Our College was the first institution in Bangalore to introduce Psychology as one of the optional subjects in the year 1956. Science department was opened in 1961 for Pre-University courses and degree classes in PCM combination commenced in 1964. Since then the Science departments grew steadily in importance allowing the college to develop into a full- fledged First grade college in Humanities, Commerce and Science .
With the increasing demand of the public and students strength the management decided to bifurcate the college into two units as A.P.S college of Arts and Science and A.P.S College of commerce in the year 1986. Prof. C. Ramanathan was the first Principal of the bifurcated college of Arts and Science. In the year 2010 the college started PG course-M.A in Economics, In 2011 BCA & BA in Journalism combination. Now the college is headed by the able and dedicated Principal Prof. H. G. Ramesh Babu, supported by the active team of teachers in arts and science.